[texbirds] Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 17:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

I joined four other birders today at San Miguelito Ranch in Kenedy County to
view and photograph a male and female Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl. The owls did not
disappoint. Both made extended appearances and posed on tree branches near the
ranch house. It was exciting to see this rare and hard-to-find species. Our
group also saw Bullock's Oriole, Greater Roadrunners, Eastern Bluebirds, and
Brown-crested Fycatchers on our visit. Photographs of the owls, along with
recent photos of Great Horned Owl chicks at Sabal Palms Sanctuary in
Brownsville, and an Elf Owl in Hidalgo County, are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157643481594863/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo