[texbirds] FOS 2cy Common Terns; diagnostic traits

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:29:54 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday was truly great day, so many things happened. One of them I
recorded FOS (for me) arrival of 2nd calendar year COTEs. In my former post I
described in more detail differences between these COTE age group and other
age  COTEs and, as well, other terns here in Texas. I never got answer to my
request  how other people age these terns so I cannot comment on that. If
you look at  today’s posted photos you will see molt pattern that cannot be
matched by older  COTEs or any FOTE (see my other post for details) at this
time of the year. You  can clearly see advanced preformative primary molt
(inner primary molted) and  heavy wear on outer (juvenal) primaries. And as
typical in many birds (not  all) moment, molt of outer secondaries just
started.
BTW, the expression of face  (jizz ) is this ‘cute’ baby tern face. Also
note very strong carpal bar.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149691928

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149691929

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149691931