[texbirds] Ellis County Willet, Peregrine, and one less phalarope

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 23:23:15 -0500

Hello,
     After arriving home from the coast late Saturday afternoon (and after
unpacking) I went out to the back dock to check and see what was around on
the west end of the lake.  It was very birdy: standing on the dock I picked
up 54 species in less than two hours.
     Highlights were ten species of shorebirds including 72 Wilson's
Phalaropes, 43 Long-billed Dowitchers and a Willet that flew in.  The
Willet is a new county bird for me and a quick check on ebird showed no
records.
     Although the Willet was very exciting to watch fly in, the highlight
of the evening was a Peregrine that literally rocketed right past me on the
dock and took a phalarope. The view I had of that Peregrine taking that
Phalarope caused a very serious adrenaline rush because the bird came from
behind me and I never saw it coming. It passed very close to me.
Fortunately, this happened before the Willet flew in and the Willet was
still there at dusk when I went back to the house.
     Our Mottled Duck is still around and other highlights included 10
White-faced Ibis and 10 Lark Sparrows. Five duck species, six heron/egret
species rounded out a great evening.
     There is no public access to this part of the lake but anybody
interested in the Willet for the county can feel free to contact me by
email. Please include your phone number. I'd imagine the bird would be
there in the morning as it was pretty dark when I left the bird.
      Good birding,

      Ted Drozdowski
      Lake Waxahachie