[texbirds] Edwards Plateau - 4/4 to 4/8

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 00:35:24 -0500

TexBirders,

Pardon this delayed post; I'm just back from 5 days spent wandering
the western and central Hill Country, almost entirely (happily) out
of cell phone/computer range.  It was fun padding a few county lists
(e.g. Mason, Kimble, Edwards, Uvalde), seeing some incredible
terrain, and learning some new county roads (some good for birds,
some not).  With the exception of numerous Yellow-rumpeds, Orange-
crowneds, and Kinglets, there was just a smidgeon of evidence of
passerine migration, but the resident and early breeding species took
up the slack.  Some highlights:

--  Certainly one highlight of the trip was an adult (ASY unbanded)
male Golden-cheeked Warbler found by Barry Noret at Cook's Slough in
Uvalde, seen by 4 of us and well photographed, apparently a first
report for that site.  Presumably this was a late migrant; the bird
was not singing and this is about 15 miles S of the nearest breeding
habitat in the Hill Country that I'm aware of.

--  Uvalde County produced about 90 spp for us on Friday the 5th,
including a previously documented Tropical Parula at Neal's Lodge and
a fly-by Ringed Kingfisher there as well.

--  The 4 of us visited a private ranch in e. Edwards County on 4/6
which had nice numbers of Black-capped Vireos and Golden-cheeked
Warblers.

--  On Sunday, 4/7, I spent time birding CR 350 and 353 NW of
Barksdale, highlighted by a singing male Tropical Parula along 353.
This is apparently a new location for the species and it may be a new
Edwards County report (none on eBird or in the 1st edition
Handbook).  It is a curious area with singing/breeding Olive
Sparrows, Couch's Kingbirds, Golden-cheeks, Yellow-throated Warblers,
Yellow-breasted Chats, and the Tropical Parula, all within a few
hundred yards of each other.  Two days exploring Edwards County
netted 78 species with precious few waterbirds to be found.

--  Two passes through Mason county on 4/4 and 4/8 netted 96 species
including a few Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks (Mason landfill),
Scott's Orioles, and several Black-capped Vireos.

--  Similar passes through Kimble county, including a stay at South
Llano River SP, netted 98 spp with plenty of Golden-cheeks, Black-
caps, and a few Scott's Orioles.  I could not find the Townsend's
Solitaire at the SP (Walter Buck area) on Monday morning.  I might
have heard a Ringed Kingfisher in Junction at Flatrock Rd crossing
(FM 2169) but I have to discount it due to noise interference; I did
have a Green Kingfisher there.  I heard Couch's Kingbirds at three
locations along the S. Llano and Llano Rivers including as far N as
the CR 314 crossing of the Llano, SE of Teacup, TX.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX