[texbirds] Eastern Travis Co. (local interest)

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 20:35:26 -0500

This afternoon I birded the southeastern portion of Travis county, scouting
out some ponds in hopes that they might turn up some coastal post-breeding
wanderers such as Wood Storks or Spoonbills. No luck in that category, but
I did find several ponds that looked promising. The most promising was a
pond visible from the 45 toll road, near where it hits I-35. This pond had
lots of herons and Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks, as well as an adult
Anhinga sunning himself on a snag in the far out in the middle of the pond.
I then headed to Decker Lake, where I saw the 2nd (?) cycle Herring Gull
that was first found in early june resting on the dam. Also interesting at
Decker Lake was the activity of Purple Martins, at least 500 were flying
around over the lake and about that many were resting in the trees along
the main drive. Not sure if this is a daytime congregation and these birds
take off in the evening to the Highland Mall Roost, or its a completely
seperate smaller premigratory roost.

photos for those interested:
HERG: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/9202369393/
PUMAs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/9205164532/in/photostream/