[texbirds] Eastern Screech-Owl Questions

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:26:47 -0600

First, because I can't resist, I was up at Balcones Country Club in
Northwest Austin today and had a Merlin at the driving range and a male
Bufflehead and Lesser Scaup on the one small lake in the back nine.
Okay, the first is about behavior: the owl at my house appears consistently
around 6 every evening and stays some mornings until at least 8 (not really
home to check). It perches on an owl box. So, is it more likely that it
sleeps inside the box during the day then comes out as the light wanes, or
that it roosts somewhere else but prefers my yard as its departure point
for hunting? Mainly, if anyone has experience with these birds that could
bring insight.

Also, I would like opinions from this photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/8401859149/in/set-72157631706270190(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/8401859149/in/set-72157631706270190)
about the color morph. Based on Cornell's site, I am thinking brown morph.
Does this reveal anything about what region the bird is from?

Thank you.

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX