[texbirds] EXCELLENT DAY BIRDING IN LAREDO (Sorry to shout).

  • From: <pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 0:47:59 +0000

Birded in Laredo this morning with Danny.  Spent most of the time exploring the
South Texas Brush.  This post is to whet your appetites for the upcoming TOS
meeting.  First stop was at San Ygnacio Road where we had Cassin's Sparrows and
Bell's Vireo.  Both species were singing, and we had awesome looks.  From there
went to North Central Park which was amazingly unbirdy.  Only added a
Black-chinned Hummingbird as a new year bird.  Then birded Ranchito Road where
many shore birds and ducks filled our view including several Cinnamon Teal and
a Say's Phoebe on his regular post.  Also had two Swainson's Hawks.  Then
birded behind Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) where we had stellar
looks at singing Rock Wren and Curve-billed Thrashers.  I highly recommend this
area if you bird Laredo.  South Texas brush country at its finest, complete
with trails.  I love this time of year.  Birds are so excited to mate; they
don't care who's looking at them.  Finished the morning with seared Ahi and a
cucumber martini.  Things look promising for the TOS meeting!

Susan Foster
Back in Rockport
Aransas County