[texbirds] Corpus Christi west - Dark Harlans / Semipalmated Sandpiper

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 22:09:18 -0500

Hi all -
After cleaning up around the house for the umpteenth time (in the past month,
we had the foundation stabilized, cracked floor re-tiled, replaced the kitchen
counters, etc.), I got out to Tule Lake and the Joe Fulton Trade Corridor this
afternoon.

Two days ago a howling SW wind had drained most of the water out of Tule Lake,
but the current E / SE winds allowed some water back, so the shorebirds were at
a closer distance.    As I walked up onto the viewing pavilion, the hawk that
was flying over the marsh looked familiar - binocular up, and yes, it was the
dark-morph Harlan's Hawk that has been there for almost two weeks.    Sweet!
Looking at my photos from 2/23, it is now definitely missing a few wing
feathers - specifically a secondary on the left wing, and likely a primary on
both wings.

Scanning the shorebirds, I noticed that the numbers of Western Sandpipers had
jumped greatly from my last visit, with well over 20 mixed in with the Leasts.
 I then spotted a peep that had very white undersides, the upper side was
definitely not as warm brown as the nearby Least Sandpipers, and it had a
stubby, thick-tipped black bill.    As it mixed with the nearby Western
Sandpipers, their longer bills, tapering to a fine, slightly drooped tip stood
out in contrast to this bird - Semipalmated Sandpiper.    Hah!  A new bird for
the 2013 Local Patch List!     eBird flagged the record, but I would think that
the arrival dates for Semis should not be too far in the future.    As usual,
the 200+ American Avocets were doing their thing, but most everything was
hunkered down out of the wind.

I then went over to the Joe Fulton Road, but the big mudflat there was almost
dry, so I did not get any new birds there.   However, the pond at the bottom of
the hill, as the road bends to the East, held 4 Northern Pintails, and a few
meadowlarks flushing from the sides of the road brought one Western amongst the
Easterns.     I am starting to think that the white in the tail might be the
best field ID mark for these two species - having just returned from California
and seeing LOTS of Westerns, the tail of a flying Eastern has a wide brown
middle with white edges, while the flying Westerns have a tail that is
dominated by white with a thin brown stripe.

The marshes to the north of the road were dotted with just the tops of the head
of many White Pelicans, evidently resting in the creeks.  I did spot one Brown
Pelican fly up and then down again - not a new Patch bird for the year, but one
for the Month List.

OK, so tomorrow I am off to see eagles in Minnesota for 4 days, so y'all can
add to your Patch lists while I am away.

Good birding,

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX