[texbirds] Corpus Christi Yard - Enjoying the Oriole Show

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:30:28 -0400

Hi all -
Well, last Thursday, I left CC, TX on a plane heading for a shorebird festival
in Gray's Harbor, WA, knowing full well that I was going to miss out on what
would become a memorable few days of birding on the TX coast.   And you guys
always say I have the perfect job....

Well, I arrived back home yesterday (Monday) after taking the red-eye from SEA,
and the yard was aflame with orioles!   There seemed to be more Orchard than
Baltimores, and there was a brief appearance by a male Hooded (second yard
record, and my first personal sighting!).

It did not take long to see a new Yard Bird - an Ovenbird in the brush by the
back mesquite tree.   Yay!  That was #221.

Other warblers popped in - Nashville, B&W, Tennessee, etc., and a male Painted
Bunting added to the light show.  Other birds were a Yellow-breasted Chat, a
couple of Eastern Wood-Pewees, a Great Crested Flycatcher, two Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks, two Gray Catbirds, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, and a Dickcissel.

I even put out my little pop-up photo blind and sat out for a while
photographing the oriole action.   I think that male Orchards are more closely
related to hummers than orioles - they LOVE to fight, even at the expense of
feeding on the oranges just inches away!

Tuesday arrived, and the oriole mix seemed to go towards Baltimore, with a lot
of males.   New Yard Birds were a Gray-cheeked Thrush and a stunning Magnolia
Warbler!   That's #223!   An Acadian Flycatcher and another non-Acadian empid
are hanging around, and the Chat has a friend - they were chasing each other
around the yard a few minutes ago.   A Black-throated Green Warbler and two
different Chestnut-sided Warblers were in the Huisache tree, and the Ovenbird
now has a friend, too.

Oh yes, a nice male Yellow Warbler was working the branches, and it came so
close I could not get it in focus with my 8x32 ELs - inside of six feet!

I have a few jobs to do around the house today, but hope to make it to Pollywog
Ponds later, and hopefully tomorrow morning.   Dane and Libby said it was
jumping this morning.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX