[texbirds] Corpus Area Birding: Tropical Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Western Kingbird and More

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 22:59:26 -0800

TexBirders,
Tad Finnell and I just got back from two days of birding the greater Corpus
area.  We started out on Friday morning at Paradise Pond being greeted by a
Couch's Kingbird we could see from the parking lot.  It was soon joined by a
second and then a third kingbird.  We first thought it was a family group when
I noticed one bird looked different than the others - a late Western Kingbird!
Check out my Flickr page at https://www.flickr.com/photos/58107870@N07/  for a
lucky shot of a Western and a Couch's side-by-side.  Before we left Tad had dug
out a lingering Tennessee Warbler - stuck one pic of it on the Flickr site
also. We birded down the island and then on to Rose Hill (slow but did have a
flock of Lesser Goldfinches) ending up at Indian Point Park.  Lots of loons and
3 Common Goldeneye were out in the bay.

Saturday morning we started in the foggy conditions along CR54A where the last
segments of true brushland hangs on in NW Nueces County.  Had a Verdin,
Pyrrhuloxias, Long-billed Thrashers and the like, but no unexpected birds.
Later in the morning we got "checked out" by a rancher who invited onto his
land.  That was where we hit the jackpot.  We found several goodies there
including Winter Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglet and best of all Tad spotted a
beautiful Tropical Parula!  Have some pics of that also on the above link. This
afternoon we went looking for and found a Burrowing Owl (thanks Andrew) that
had been seen in the Chapman Ranch area west of Corpus.  And later Tad spotted
another glaring at him from some roadside bales.  Found a couple of Sprague's
Pipits, but alas no longshot Mountain Plover.

We ended up with 141 species in Nueces County for the two days and a few others
in adjacent San Patricio and Jim Wells counties.  And we lucked out on the
weather with almost no rain (just some mist at times) and less fog than up the
coast.

Good Birding,

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson