[texbirds] Re: Concerning Hummingbird migration

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 05:01:26 -0500

When birds are migrating numbers will change through the day. The typical
scenario on the Coast is increasing numbers in late afternoon, birds stay over
night and birds leaving after 9 in the morning. Unless something forces them
to stay most will not stay longer than a day.

Brent Ortego
Victoria, TX

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2015, at 7:22 PM, (Redacted sender "DHanson139" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here in our yard in Baytown the numbers have been the lowest by a long ways
than we have ever seen here living here for 14 years. Most days there are
no more than 20 or so out there. We had one day probably 8-10 days ago we
had 40-50 and usually we have 150-200 at this time. Can;t help but wonder if
the same East winds that blew a lot of birds this way
David Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master Naturalist
FeatherFest 2016 Birding Program Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx
did not move the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds farther West.

In a message dated 9/23/2015 3:48:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi all -

I was working in my Corpus Christi yard most of the morning, and there
were a few hummers present. I currently have 12 feeders out. I came in
for
lunch at about noon, and a few minutes later while I was eating I looked
out and there were a few dozen hummingbirds swirling around the back yard!
Talk about turning on the faucet - some mechanism brought them in!

As I write this at 3:45, the numbers are lower, but still more than this
morning.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX