[texbirds] Common Crane or chimeric crane

  • From: Bruce Sherman <brucesherman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:31:51 -0600

It took me a while to figure out what "chimeric" means. As best as I can
understand it's something like a hybrid - but not exactly.

Maybe this will shed some light on the subject. Here's a link (found on the
internet, not my photo) to a photo of a Common Crane X Hooded Crane hybrid in
S. Korea: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id687. The
hybrid in the picture sure does look like Justin's picture that shows the right
side of the mystery crane's head and neck.

Bruce Sherman
Rockport, TX