[texbirds] Canyon Lake Birding Wed Nov 26

  • From: Ed Hickl <ehickl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:50:59 -0600

Today the family decided to bird some around the lake area.
We hit the Nature Trail below Canyon Lake Dam and then our subdivision cove
that looks at Comal Park.
Nice day for birding.
Our list for a couple of hours of looking:

Canyon Dam Nature Trail-

Wood Ducks-  at least 20 - Males and Females
Gadwall - 10
Mallards - 3
Muscovy Duck - 2
Great Egret -1
Turkey Vulture - 50 + in a kettle overhead
Black Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
Spotted Sandpiper -1
White-winged Dove -15
Belted Kingfisher -1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker -4
Downy Woodpecker -1
Red-bellied Woodpecker -1
Black-crested Titmouse - 20
Carolina Chickadee -15
Brown Creeper -2
Carolina Wren - 5
Bewick’s Wren -1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet -7
Eastern Bluebird - 8  (by the ball fields)
Swainson’s Thrush -1
Northern Mockingbird -3
Orange-crowned Warbler -2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 5  ( both Audubon and Myrtle)
Northern Cardinal -10
American Goldfinch -6 ( by trail on upper bank)

At the cove next to Comal Park-

Bufflehead -3
Redhead - 25
Mallard - 5