[texbirds] Camp Mabry -- Monday 21st

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:44:52 -0600

Thought I'd change it up this morning, so Mabry instead of Laguna Gloria (they
are on the same street). Started off quiet for my first walk between the
ponds, but then it picked up. American and Lesser Goldfinches, a
Lincoln's Sparrow
and Hermit Thrush with one Eastern Phoebe were by the upper, smaller pond.
Then I saw two ducks fly onto the lower, larger pond so I went back. Two
Gadwalls along with both Great Egret and Great Blue Heron and tons of
Yellow-rumped Warblers and a second Eastern Phoebe. There was some good
habitat for sparrows next to the second pond, but nothing was moving.
Personally, I think Laguna has better aquatic habitat being right by the
lake, but the riparian habitat at Mabry is much less disturbed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX