[texbirds] Camp Bullis sightings

  • From: Nathaniel Nye <nathaniel.nye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:19:46 -0500

Hello all,
Spent this past week doing some military training up at Camp Bullis in the
northern part of San Antonio.

Though I didn't get to do much birding, I did see a few things. On the 24th
I saw a flock of about 100 Sandhill Cranes fly over, and another ~15 flew
over the next day. At the beginning of the week there was a male and 2
female Vermillion Flycatchers near our camp, but the second female was gone
by the end of the week and the male was doing courtship flights all day
long. Also heard at least 2 Common Poorwills last night.

Besides that, there were a lot of Bewick's Wrens, chickadees, titmice,
Lesser Goldfinch, Eastern Bluebirds and Eastern Phoebes. A pair of cowbirds
were around, assume they were Brown-headed but never had a chance to
confirm. A pair of Ravens were aggressively defending the area, chasing out
Red-shouldered Hawks and even Turkey Vultures.

Best,
Nate Nye
San Antonio