[texbirds] Calliope primary molt, Broad-billed terrorizes all park and more

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 22:21:25 -0500 (EST)

I had a great fun spending time with hummers in Russ Pitman Park - it is
only a few miles away from my home so I need a few minutes to get there.

Calliope Hummingbird is molting now its primaries - only 4 outmost are  old
 _http://www.pbase.com/image/147607352_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147607352) .  This is perfectly in time range
(thanks folks from Louisiana for
their studies)  but it also means that this tiny male dropped weight to
achieved
alleviated  aerodynamic force requirements for weight support during
hovering (Chai,  1997).  If both those males (Calliope and Broad-billed) spend
winter in the  park it will be fun to watch them molting.

Broad-billed is quite a character, the whole park is its territory and he
furiously try to chase away everything small enough to avoid fights.
Calliope  sometimes spend most of the day either hiding somewhere or, most
likely,
outside  the park. BB keeps moving from one patch of shrimp plants to
another keeping  eyes on intruders - he was chasing away kinglets going after
them
even high into  the tree canopies.  Both hummers spend a lot time
flycatching and in breaks  drink shrimp plant nectar. Neither me or anybody
else I
talk to saw them  drinking nectar from feeders. Great as I hate photographing
hummers on feeders.  Rufus is trying to feed at feeders but probably BB is
keeping him away from this  area most of the time. Both hummers (especially
BB) are often feeding on shrimp  plants in very deep shade so photography can
be tricky, same during dusk hours:  _http://www.pbase.com/image/147607334_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147607334)

I had to stop processing images as there are too many anyway but in these
folders one can find examples illustrating both species. One series of
photos is  showing Calliope feeding at dusk (1600 ISO and veeery slow shutter
speed) so  photos are very grainy.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/broadbilled_hummingbird_november_2628_2012_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/broadbilled_hummingbird_november_2628_2012)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/calliope_hummingbird_november_2628_2012_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/calliope_hummingbird_november_2628_2012)

And for one who wants one in all this image show both species in different
poses

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147562229_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147562229)

Mark B Bartosik