[texbirds] Re: Calliope Hummingbird

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:36:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Margaret:

Nice set of pix.  You should have mentioned that the Calliope was an adult
male!  Yow!

I have a couple of other comments about your pix:

1) your "Broad-taild Hummingbird?" looks quite good for that species

2) your "Selasphorus hummingbird" is an adult male (note the tail), which means
that it is almost certainly an Allen's.

I'd encourage your allowing someone to come band the beasties, as such data are
invaluable, particularly if the birds return in subsequent years.

Tony

Tony Leukering
Villas, NJ
http://copyeditinggonebad.blogspot.com/