[texbirds] Both Northern as well as Tropical Parula at Neals Lodges in Concan yesterday

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 00:24:07 -0500

A Northern Parula was first seen and heard singing at Neals Lodges in
Concan on Saturday (though not seen well, and song very similar to
Tropical, so mistaken originally for a likely second Tropical Parula ).  I
refound it yesterday morning and photographed it.  I also checked and
refound the Tropical Parula singing only a few hundred yards away, also on
Neals Lodges property.  I have uploaded photos (that show the field marks
that differentiate it from the Tropical Parula) of the Northern Parula onto
my Birds and Nature blog <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/>.
Bob Rasa led a bird walk to the property across the river from Neals Lodges
(does not belong to the people who purchased Neals Lodges last year but Bob
knows the owner) where a group of us saw a Golden-cheeked Warbler.  Some of
the group climbed a steep trail composed of scree to look for a
Black-capped Vireo but though they heard it they did not see it.

Note:  the noisy motorcyclists that gathered for their Rio Frio Run left
yesterday.

SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder currently in Concan, Tx
Personal blog @ http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com