[texbirds] Bobolink and Whimbrel, Richland Creek WMA North Unit, May 4, 2014

  • From: "Doc" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "drbirdie@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 20:50:54 -0500

Hi Texbirders,
Nothing sounds quite like a Bobolink, and I was sure I was hearing one over the
roaring south wind and the din of scores of Dickcissels shortly after I pulled
over at the first wet spot (Shoveler Marsh) at Richland Creek WMA today shortly
after 3 pm. It took about 10 minutes, but I finally spied the bird singing from
the top of a small tree in the meadow across the road from (west of) the south
end of Shoveler Marsh. I obtained a few backlit but identifiable photos of this
splendid alternate plumage male before he flew further west again and sang from
a more distant tree. I became distracted by a passing butterfly enthusiast, and
then lost track of the bird and could no longer hear it singing.

I spent the next 3 hours or so marvelling at the numbers and variety of
shorebirds and waterbirds at this north unit of the WMA. Among the 15 species
of shorebirds I encountered was a single Whimbrel in cell 10, which I managed
to photograph just before it flushed and flew steadily to the north. Despite
finding no peeps besides Least Sandpiper, and very few woodland birds because
of the wind, I saw over 60 species in just over 3 hours.
Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at