[texbirds] Black-chinne Hummer with blue throat

  • From: George Baker <gn_baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders,

My family spent this past weekend at our ranch in northern Kimble County where
saw a very interesting male Black-chinned Hummingbird with a lovely blue throat
instead of the typical magenta/purple.  I have seen Ruby-throated Hummers with
variable colors to the throat iridescence (gold or orange, etc) but have not
seen or heard of iridescence variations in Black-chinned.  In any case, I
thought he was pretty cool and a photo is posted at the following link along
with that of a typical Black-chinned for anyone interested.

https://picasaweb.google.com/nannbaker/BCHummers?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvSzb7b4bap6QE#

Take care,
Noreen Baker
Austin