[texbirds] Bentsen RGV State Park, Old Port Isabel Road

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:01:41 -0700 (PDT)

I birded Bentsen today and Old Port Isabel Road yesterday. Both has
surprisingly good numbers and variety of birds, considering the 100 degree heat
and lack of rain in the Valley.

I joined Javier de Leon on the Bentsen bird walk. We found an Altamira Oriole
in the early stages of nest-building, three Northern Beardless Tyrannulets, Two
Groove-billed Anis, a Swainson's Hawk, two Brown-crested Flycatchers, a single
Paraque, three Yellow-billed Cuckoos, one Crested Caracara, two Bronzed
Cowbirds, two Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, numerous Couch's/Tropical Kingbirds,
and multiple Olive Sparrows, plus many of the usual Valley specialities.  OPI
Road held Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Northern Bobwhites, 2 Harris Hawks, two
Blue Grosbeaks, and one Horned Lark. The road was piled high at points with
discarded tires and other trash. A shame. Last weekend, I found Green Parakeets
at Fort Brown resaca at UTB.

A few photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

Bob Becker