[texbirds] Bell's Vireo and Blucher Bird Walks

  • From: lmj6464@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 15:23:18 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Texbirders,

The April Blucher Bird Walks ended today with a bang.  Twenty-four visitors
enjoyed a total of 74 species.  We had one birder from British Columbia, who
gets the farthest-away award of the day.

The bird of the day was clearly a Bell's Vireo, discovered by Mel Cooksey.  We
had a total of 45 species of migrants, including 16 warblers, five vireos, 4
thrushes and eight flycatchers.  The MacGillivray's Warbler has apparently
departed for points north and west.

Thanks to Kristi Thulin for hosting and Judy Kestner and Mel Cooksey for
leading the walks.

Although the Audubon Outdoor Club Walks ended today, Blucher should be very
good for another two to three weeks, so if you are in the area, give it a look.

The birds of note included:

Chuck-Will's Widow
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Acadian Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Great-crested Flycatcher
Brown-crested Flycatcher
Great Kiskade - including nest
Yellow-throated Vireo
Bell's Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Veery
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Ovenbird
Wormeating Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
American Redstart
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole

Larry Jordan
Corpus Christi

P. S.  I went over to Rose Hill Cemetery after leaving Blucher and it was very
good; lots of migrants