[texbirds] Belated report - Fort Stockton Red-breasted Nuthatches - Tuesday 1-8-13

  • From: drbirdie@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:57:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi Texbirders,
I made a quick trip out to west Texas last weekend just after the big snow.
The Christmas Mountains Varied Thrush put on a great show, and Carolyn and I
both got some great photos of the thrush in the snow, possibly a Texas first?

I thought that some other traveling birders might be interested to know that on
my return trip on Tuesday January 8 I stopped in briefly at Rooney Park in Fort
Stockton (Pecos County), where I stumbled across 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches and
2 or possibly 3 Brown Creepers. Much of the park was birdless, but in the
southwest corner I initially heard a nuthatch calling as I approached some
evergreen trees. I then found and photographed the bird, which seemed to be
loosely affiliated with a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and an Audubon's Warbler. As I
watched and attempted to get photos, I heard a second bird, which then flew in
to join the first, and as I was walking away, I heard and then spied a third
bird flying in to join the first two. A few minutes later and 80 - 100 yards
away, while watching at least 2 Brown Creepers working trunks of small
cottonwoods near the channel on the north side of the park, I heard another
RBNU, far enough away to make me think that it was a different bird.
Weather was cold and overcast (temp in low 40's at mid-day), and wind was
blowing hard from the west, making me wonder if these birds had just blown in
with the front that was coming up out of Mexico and the Pacific.

Two days previous, I was fortunate enough to find a flock of 17 Red Crossbills
working the tiny cones of arborvitae in the cemetery on the southeast side of
Alpine. These trees are at the east end of the cemetery, northeast corner near
the east-most entry road. There was also a Red-breasted Nuthatch in this
cemetery.

The cashier at Lake Balmorrhea late Monday afternoon said that an adult Bald
Eagle had been "hanging around since the weekend." She said it had a white head
and she seemed quite enthusiastic about it. I didn't see a Bald Eagle, but I
did find a single Snow Goose grazing at the edge of the lake in the northeast
corner, and 2 Common Mergansers on the west side of the lake, among many other
ducks of multiple species. Lots of Ring-billed Gulls, a few Bonaparte's Gulls
and a single juvenile Herring-type Gull roosting in the center of the lake late
in the day Monday. A quick stop at Balmorrhea State Park before dark yielded a
single Golden-crowned Kinglet and a Rock Wren bouncing about one of the canal
bridges.

Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin