[texbirds] Bear Creek-Pewee, nuthatch, merlin

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:30:27 -0800 (PST)

Today, 11/12, I went to Bear Creek Park in Houston. I found the Greater Pewee
at 10 a.m. behind restroom #10. It was on a tall dead S-shaped trunk. Found
associating with a large flock of pine warblers, red breasted nuthatch
(probable more than one) chickadees and RC kinglets. It stayed on this S-shaped
trunk, which has a cement cylinder with rusty manhole top at the trunk's base,
for about two minutes. Next it went to an oak tree, where it was virtually
invisible in the leaves. The third time I saw the pewee, it had moved to a
short, broken off pine branch at the northwest corner of the #10 restroom. The
fourth time was on a twig of a bare oak branch hanging down, midway between the
have a habit, like bluebirds and phoebes do, of returning to a favored perch.
But it does not fly far either. I observed it for 25 minutes. It will not fly
down to low flying bugs, as pine
 warblers do, so search bare branches high up in any type of tree. And look out
for a lot of pine warblers as a tip off that the pewee may be
out pinecones but it is also searching food anywhere else along branches in oak
and pine. At one point I saw both the pewee and the red breasted nuthatch on
Way picnic loop, I found a merlin. Explains why the area was otherwise lifeless
mannikins at 10:30 and didn't find them. Maybe 8:30- 9 a.m. would be a better
time, when it is first light for that area of the woods. Did get to see a nice