[texbirds] Baylor, Wichita and Archer Counties - California Gull and Aecmophorus Extravaganza

  • From: Steven Glover <stevenglover99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:32:17 -0600

Hi all,
Yesterday, 11/19, Greg Cook, Darlene Moore, Ed Wetzel, Blaine Carnes and I
birded portions of Baylor, Wichita and Archer Counties. Highlights included:

One female/immature Surf Scoter at the north end of Millers Creek Res.,
Baylor County. Two Rock Wrens were also on the dam - this is a traditional
wintering site.

At least 20 Western Grebes, 2 Clark's Grebes, 8 *Aecmophorus *grebes, 10
Common Mergansers and a Red-breasted Merganser were on Lake Kemp, Baylor
County, visible from an overlook
on Hwy 183/283. A scope is essential here. We are not aware of "big" grebe
numbers like this in NC Texas. These birds were present on just one small
portion of the lake so there may be many more but the only other public
access points require a $15 entry fee. Per person! We opted not to partake
but anyone who likes the feeling of being hung upside down and shaken might
be able to find something really good.

At Buffalo Creek Reservoir, Wichita County, Greg spotted a young California
Gull.

Lake Wichita, Wichita and Archer Counties, continues to be very birdy but
in fading light we didn't turn up much more than a flock of Red-breasted
Mergansers.

Finally, a Short-eared Owl calling and harassing a Great Horned Owl, was
along Lake Creek Rd., Archer Co., east of Hwy 281.

Steve Glover
Fort Worth, TX