[texbirds] Bastrop/Buescher & Sayerville

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Had a wonderful morning road-birding the two state parks (and hiking a
couple of trails for exercise ;-)); had pretty much the same birds as yesterday
 afternoon with the exception of the Hairy Woodpecker, and today added
Golden-crowned Kinglet to the list.  Don't know what the hybrid titmouse
situation is here, but had two birds near the entrance to Bastrop that looked
good for Tufted with a plain gray crest and nice crisp black forehead.
Scouted the Sayerville roads (or I should say I got good and lost trying to
follow my MapQuest version of the route), and while I really didn't have time
 stop and listen, it was a glorious road!  I guess technically the habitat
is Post Oak Savannah, but it sure reminded me of the oak savannah areas
back in  California--I almost expected a Yellow-billed Magpie any minute! :-)
Can't  wait to bird it tomorrow!

Pictures and recordings are here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Bastrop%20State%20Pa
rk.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Bastrop%20State%20Park.html)

Bird List (new ones in CAPS):

Northern Shoveler                     Anas clypeata
Lesser Scaup                          Aythya affinis
Black Vulture                         Coragyps atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes aura
Red-shouldered Hawk                   Buteo lineatus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo  jamaicensis
Greater Yellowlegs                    Tringa melanoleuca
Eurasian Collared-Dove                Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
Red-bellied Woodpecker                Melanerpes carolinus
Downy Woodpecker                      Picoides pubescens
Pileated Woodpecker                   Dryocopus pileatus
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Eastern Phoebe                        Sayornis phoebe
Blue Jay                              Cyanocitta  cristata
American Crow                         Corvus brachyrhynchos
Carolina Chickadee                    Poecile carolinensis
Tufted Titmouse                       Baeolophus bicolor
“Dixon’s”  Titmouse
House Wren                            Troglodytes aedon
Carolina Wren                         Thryothorus ludovicianus
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET                  Regulus satrapa
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
Eastern Bluebird                      Sialia  sialis
Hermit Thrush                         Catharus guttatus
American Robin                        Turdus migratorius
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
Orange-crowned Warbler                Oreothlypis celata
Pine Warbler                          Setophaga pinus
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
Chipping Sparrow                      Spizella passerine
Field  Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow                        Pooecetes gramineus
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus sandwichensis
Lincoln's Sparrow                     Melospiza lincolnii
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
House Finch                           Haemorhous mexicanus
Pine Siskin                           Spinus pinus
American Goldfinch                    Spinus tristis
House Sparrow                         Passer domesticus
43  SPECIES
So far:  104 SPECIES
Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX