[texbirds] Austin Least Bittern and Purple Martin show at Mueller

  • From: Jake McCumber <jake_mccumber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

After going to Mueller Lake Park yesterday afternoon and hearing the Least
Bittern found and reported by Mollie Kloepper I decided to go back this morning
and try again.  I showed up at first light (6:15ish) and quickly heard the
bittern calling.  After a good while of searching I located it in the
vegetation with the spatulate leaves and purple flowers (I'm sure I should know
what it is, but don't).  After locating the bittern I watch it forage for 15
minutes or so then it moved up in the vegetation and out in the open.  It
preened and called while I watched for 20 more minutes.  It was still doing
this when I left.

Anyone wanting to find/observe this bird should stay across the water from it
and scan the vegetation.  It's location was well described by Mollie as "the
part of the pond nearest to Zach Scott St. [SW portion of pond] on the side
away from Airport Blvd [east]."  Observation is good from the side nearer
Airport (west) where the little concrete pad goes into the water.  Also of
interest right there is a family of shrikes with adults feeding fledglings.

I make the above recommendation because there is very little appropriate
vegetation lining the shore and it's quite dense.  The chance of disturbing the
bird is likely high and the chance of seeing it from the side it's on is quite
low I think.  Viewing from across the narrow water was wonderful, though, and
it clearly preferred the relative comfort of the water side seemingly
unconcerned by the morning walkers.

Oh, and the Purple Martins put on quite a spectacle swarming over the water in
their morning dispersal from the Highland Mall roost.  There were several
thousand birds flying over while I watched the bittern, but I was more in
bittern mode than my usual summer martin counting mode.

Thanks, Mollie for finding and reporting this wonderful bird.

Cheers,
Jake McCumber
Austin