[texbirds] August visits to Clapp Park, Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:00:41 -0500

Greetings All:
Classes have started and I have been up to my elbows in anatomy. I have
finally gotten a chance to catch my breath and decided to catch folk up on
my Clapp Park efforts.

On 3 August 2015 I visited the park for two hours, starting at first
light. I picked up 37 species with highlights including 1 Great Egret, 21
Snowy Egrets, 2 Yellow-crowned Night Herons, 1 Virginia Rail (came in on my
poor imitation of Sora calls), 2 Solitary Sandpipers, 1 Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, 1 immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 1 Cassin's Sparrow
(oddly urban site for this speices, 1 adult male Indigo Bunting, and 1 male
Bronzed Cowbird.

The Virginia Rail and Ruby-throated Hummingbird (in order of encounter)
were new for my park list this year, bringing my 2015 Clapp Park list up to
145 species of bird.

On 9 August 2015 I visited the park for two hours in the morning, picking
up 44 species with the following highlights: 1 Snowy Egret, 1
Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 1
Great Horned Owl (not unusual for the region but the first I think I have
ever seen at this urban park), 1 adult male Broad-tailed Hummingbird, 1
female Rufous Hummingbird, 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 Bank Swallow, 2 Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers, 1 female Common Yellowthroat, 1 adult male Black-headed
Grosbeak, and 1 immature male Indigo Bunting.

The Bank Swallow, Black-headed Grosbeak, Great Horned Owl , Broad-tailed
Hummingbird, and Least Flycatcher (in order of encounter) were new for my
park list this year, bringing my 2015 Clapp Park list up to 150 species of
bird.

This morning, 15 August 2015, I visited the park for an hour and a half,
picking up 34 species with the following higlights: 1 Great Egret, 50 Snowy
Egrets, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 2 Long-billed Dowitchers, 1 Least
Flycatcher, 1 Loggerhead Shrike (not unusual for the region but I can't
recall every seeing one at this site before), 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 2
Yellow Warblers, 1 adult male Western Tanager, 1 immature male Painted
Bunting, and 1 adult female Yellow-headed Blackbird.

The Long-billed Dowitchers, Loggerhead Shrike, and Western Tanager (in
order of encounter) were new for my park list this year, bringing my 2015
Clapp Park list up to 153 species of bird.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock