[texbirds] Anahuac yesterday - Krider's update and others

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:30:05 -0600

Hi Texbirders,

It was a beautiful day yesterday to be out with bright sun, until
clouds rolled in about 2pm. I wanted to show my wife, Lisa, the
Krider's as she had been out of town all last week when I took the photos.
We did find 2 Krider's, and both were on the main road of the refuge
to Frozen Point. There was a very pale one way down by the bay, I
think this was the one that was along 1985, as I did not see him
there. The other one with more extensive brown on the head and
reddish wash on the tail was in the woodlot restoration area. Both
were very skittish and did not allow close approach for good photos.

Other interesting birds were the Ruddy Ducks. As we were the only car
on the loop, they were out in full view (about a dozen). This is the
first one I have seen that I feel is a male as it has a clear cheek.
The tail up was nice to see.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030167

Here is a female with her stiff tail up as well.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030168

This peculiar one had a crest.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030169

I have always found that American Kestrels are very wary and hard to
photograph. Usually when I stop the car, they immediately fly off
before I can even put the camera out the window. However, I got lucky
today with this female along FM1985.
She sat still for a while and even fanned her tail in this photo.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030170

Here is a Neotropic Cormorant displaying his 'Catch of the Day'

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030171

His fishing buddy just caught an appetizer.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030172

Lastly, the Vermilion Flycatcher at Skillern was posing once again.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154030173

We did not see any Merlin today, but did have an eagle fly over which
we think was a subadult Golden Eagle. The volunteer at the visitor
shack said both eagles have been seen this winter.

Good birding to all in 2014.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX