[texbirds] Anahuac to Texas City way back last month

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:22:45 -0600

I did the loop from Anahuac to the Texas City Dike back on December 11th
and finally got around to posting the pictures. Had a couple of rainy and
wet weeks in California and new years duties so was a little slow posting.
Apparently brought the rain with me when I came home
A loggerhead shrike along 1985 was very cooperative
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126168

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126160

The herd of red-breasted nuthatches at high island was still running around
smith oaks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126185

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126175

Despite the dry surroundings, the ponds on bob and frenchtown road are
full. A young white ibis was scavenging leftovers from the fisherfolk
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126188

The best birding was on the texas city dike. Wilson's plovers are scarce in
winter but the dike small plover roost had one bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126502

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126500

The american oystercatchers were out on the rocks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126505

But were the unbanded birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126504

A very itchy long-billed curlew was trying to make the itch go away
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126506

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126511

But was still scratching when I left
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126512

An adult lesser black-backed gull had replaced the greater or had left the
species hot spot at Quintana
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126564

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126563

I tried very hard to make this seagull with a ring around the bill
something other than a herring gull
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126570

But it will molt into a real herring gull
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126568

Lots of varied plumages out there to look over
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126566

A young of the year white-tailed kite was catching crickets out near the
end of the dike
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126579

Most youngsters from last summer have long lost their juvenile feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126573

And I was unappreciated based on the glare
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148126578

All the pictures can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--