[texbirds] American White Pelican with fading cattle ear tag

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:45:00 -0500 (EST)

I was just checking photos from a few weeks ago (January 18, 2013 Quintana,
 Texas) and found this American White Pelican (I only took a few record
shots of  them on that day being busy with other birds) with what look like a
cattle ear  tag. Using this term to Google for the info I found instantly
that hundreds  (thousands?) in fact were tagged with the cattle ear tags in
Idaho starting in  2007. What I see is that unfortunately these tags are not
working well. Black  color gives away the colony (Gull Island in the Blackfoot
Reservoir) but if  somebody wants to track an individual this becoming
impossible. White lettering  practically completely faded making letters
impossible to read correctly. Tag  might read FAA (EAA?, F44?, E44?) you can
look
for yourself - I tried to bring  details but couldn’t make it work 100%.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148756751_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148756751)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148756752_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148756752)

I think some action need to be taken to not use these kind of tags in the
future as it look to me as wasting resources and not getting data in  return.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)