[texbirds] American Oystercatchers foraging at night

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:20:51 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting. BNA AMOY account (revised recently - May 22, 2012) note that:
“Nocturnal foraging not observed, even during moonlit nights (Tuckwell and
Nol  1997)”

I checked original source but no definition of what they considered ’night
foraging was given. Method section only state this: “Five nightly trips,
each 1  h in duration, were made each season, during clear nights, sometimes
with a full  moon, to determine if nocturnal foraging was taking place at the
Queen Sound  oyster bed.”  Then the results: “During 15 h of night
observations we never  observed foraging, although tides were low, light levels
were generally high  (from a full moon), and skies were clear.”

I just observed small group of six Oystercatchers (mix of adults and
juveniles) after sundown. Up to at least 3 were kept foraging at the same time
(could not keep track of all 6 when concentrating on photographing).  Last
photos I took was about 10 minutes after sundown and I kept  observing  and
taking video clips to about half hour after sundown. Stopped when get pretty
dark; did I know that this was never recorded before I would kept taking
video  recordings much longer as my video camera can record in the very low
light. As I  said there is no clear description of what authors consider to be
‘
night hours’  and, on the other hand. 15 hours of observation doe not
sounds like a lot.   I saw that 2 out of six AMOY were banded but this
doesn’t
mean that 33%  oystercatcher in Texas population have color bands.

Here is an example of AMOY foraging (probing in intertidal flats) about 10
minutes after sundown.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149345095_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149345095)

This add something new to interesting AMOY behaviors I observed in the
past.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_