[texbirds] American Bittern at Laguna Gloria (Travis Co.)

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:18:43 -0500

This evening, I went to bird laguna glora to see if any migrants were
around. While there were a few warblers around (mostly Yellow-rumps,
including a nice male Audubon's, a few Nashvilles, and a Black-throated
Green), the definite highlight was an adult American Bittern that I saw
flush from the reeds near the end of the peninsula, just on the other side
of the cypress trees on the left. I bushwhacked through the little bit of
lugustrum/yaupon/poison ivy bramble that is right to the left of the
peninsula, and then walked down along the row of cypress trees from the
backside. The bittern then flushed again, and flew pretty close to me (i
was clearly able to see the dark malar and yellow bill, plus the more
obvious field marks like the dark flight feathers, streaked neck, etc.). It
the flew over the water headed towards the back side island off the end of
the peninsula, where I assume it settled down in some reeds (it looked like
it dropped in altitude a bit)
Checking my email for the first time since noonish now, i see that Mike
Rogan saw the AMBI too, earlier this AM.
This is the 205th species I've seen at Laguna Gloria.
Good Birding,
Sam Fason, Austin