[texbirds] Alpine/Big Bend Area

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:29:46 -0600

Yesterday was a great day birding wise.
Taking 118 South, about 15 miles south of Alpine I saw a large group
--40-50--Western/Mountain Bluebirds mixed.

Less than a mile later I saw two Phainopepla's, both males.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11626055896/

About three miles down the road after that I had three Desert Cardinals
(Phyroluxia)

Birds tend to get sparse on the road until one reaches the park. But in
Study Butte, about a mile before the park entrance on someone's house a
beautiful Curved Billed Thrasher was singing his heart out and posing for
photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11626056416/

Once up in the Chisos Basin I hiked about two miles towards the Window (My
mother was with me so it wasn't a vigorous hike). On the trial down I got a
Texas Towhee Trifecta: first, a Spotted Towhee posed for me in the glorious
light for photos.

Then about ten minutes later I had what I assume were three Green-tailed
Towhees: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11625516593/

After that I photographed a mystery bird:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11626059486/ and this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11625652694/

And then another mystery bird:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11625515623/

Finally, on the way back up I saw a Canyon Towhee.

Before the end of the trail a beautiful Cactus Wren couple was singing and
cackling as they do.

And then out of nowhere a Mexican Jay appeared!

For good measure, we saw three tarantulas on the road out of the park and I
took a photo of one here, next to my smart phone, as he was trying to find
his web: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/11625654214/

Those were the highlights.

Sean Paul Kelley
Central San Antonio