[texbirds] A few Marathon notes, Brewster Co.

  • From: Matthew York <mwayork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:09:44 -0500

The sugar-water feeders are buzzing with hummingbirds.  Pretty much all
Black-chinned females and young of the year.
On 15 July, our first notice of an adult female Rufous Hummingbird showed
herself and continues.
Today, a bright gorget'ed, shiny-penny copper of an adult male Rufous
Hummingbird has joined the fray.
We are hopeful for additional species to show up, nevertheless the current
group prove interesting to observe.
We have some peeps moving through.  Yesterday, at the Marathon Treatment
Ponds (which are on private property), we had 2 Least Sandpipers and 1
Western Sandpiper.  Add to that, the Long-billed Curlew (LBCU) we heard two
days back.  Sheridan Coffey had LBCU at Balmorhea Lake back on Sunday.
KBBryan's "Birds of the Trans-Pecos" checklist lists LBCU as "Occasional"
right now, and will pick up beginning at the end of this month.
Still it is nice to hear them to accompany these strange fall temps we are
enjoying.
Also remaining at the treatment ponds are a Ruddy Duck and American Wigeon.

Pick a Havard Agave stalk and you will find hummingbird and oriole species
without much trouble.

We have hatch-year kingbirds out and about.  Mostly Western.  There are a
pair of Cassin's Kingbirds in town (it has been an odd yr w/o too many
CAKI) for the town.

Already, long-winded enough ..

Matt York (& Heidi Trudell)
Marathon