[telescoperos] Fwd: The Sidewalk Astronomer

  • From: Claudio Argandoña <claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telescoperos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:49:03 -0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Donna Smith Sidewalk Astronomers, 100 Hours of Astronomy IYA
Cornerstone Project Task Group <sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/2/5
Subject: The Sidewalk Astronomer
To: claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx

            [image: Sidewalk Astronomers]    In This Issue   Update on
JD<#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK10>  100HA
and ISAN Need You! <#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK17>  Dawn Kicks Off IYA!
<#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK19>  Saturn Observing
Campaign<#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK22>  Member
Artwork <#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK25>  SA in
Nicaragua<#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK28>  Partial
Eclipse <#11f44943363789b7_LETTER.BLOCK31>     [image: Join Our Mailing
List] <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101566561734>

Amazing Space
   You're In Control! In 1609,
Galileo turned his telescope
on the night sky for the first
time. Now, 400 years later,
your vote will help make the momentous decision of where
to point modern astronomy's
most famous telescope.
http://youdecide.hubblesite.org/amazing-space<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdpUKXD5Hy1QRttlXdaKium9mOUKgC87KROco6vtbnt4sTjQBw9hQPplssb3Itqxo-EaxC2CWyS09TMrqxwbBz4KiinCQ05tF2vRLUeQ-47WlYezZffmkhw1iIXZVMitlFw=>

Vote by March 1 !!!

      Resouces
Many IYA projects and nodes have websites and they are loaded with resources
for amateurs. Most can be customized with club logos and contact
information.

http://www.100hoursofastronomy.org/all-content<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdqRDQdFxc4RUEZZOyjztECIpiFOBKP0_yUrDzCrvxGFB42FAP7HaeBnlHBq8TKDo56iDDPeZU6El6gqTzjr8iDoICBMSHMVclN19NdtcF0XHCA-Gew7PZXgpNJrQ5sYiiIBIb-4JETQeg==>

www.astronomy2009.us/howtohost<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdqZq5DbS6VWxdhvSnr0FwmvG-1i3k-_kHtx27p9hlSjJNQR17MmAJ9QT_YJHMZPIfMXwggKANwKGDPNy8y1d2faICJAVNGX0AskNuVlQQ8pmj88uJFfz9PE>

Update on John Dobson
Many of you may have heard rumors that John has been ill recently and was
unable to attend his yearly event in Death Valley. While it's true that
he didn't go, he isn't seriously ill but wasn't feeling great and Furnace
Creek is pretty far from any medical facilities.
Unfortunately, we aren't scheduling John for any upcoming events and he is
still in Hollywood and will be there for the next several weeks. John, his
doctors, and those close to him feel this is best. We will keep you updated.

   Officers/Board Elections
Thanks to all of you who sent in nominations,  we are  just waiting to see
if they all accept. Voting will be in the next newsletter.

   [image:
Donate]<https://www.paypal.com/cgibin/webscr?first_name=Claudio&last_name=Argando%C3%B1a&undefined_quantity=1&business=dsmith1055@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&image_url=ACCOUNT.IMAGE.19&return=&cancel_return=&item_name=Donate&amount=12.00&shipping=0&currency_code=USD&item_number=&cmd=_xclick>Support
the Sidewalk Astronomers!    SA PHOTO ALBUM We have a new photo album and
calendar posted on the website. Please upload your photos and post events.
When you upload photos, they won't immediately be seen because we need to
accept them but it is a quick process and we usually get to it within 24
hours.
We also have a forum on the site, you can post observing reports or discuss
upcoming IYA events.

   [image: Join Our Mailing
List]<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101566561734>
In
the next issue...    *Sidewalk Astronomy in Iraq *Sidewalk Updates from
Brazil
*Telescope Building In Africa
plus more updates about ISAN, 100 Hours, and IYA

   Thanks to all our Regional and Natonal Organizers for all thier hard
work!

*  The Sidewalk Astronomer*
Newsletter of the Sidewalk Astronomers January 31, 2009
 *Dear Claudio,*

I have recently done some organizing and because so many people send emails
asking to get the newsletter instead of joining online, I have run a program
to collect emails addresses from Out Look on all my computers. I have tried
to edit the list to delete those addresses that aren't astronomy related,
but with over 3000, I am sure that some have slipped through. If you don't
want to receive the newsletter, I am sorry for the inconvenience but please
just use the SafeUnsubscribe link at the bottom of the page because we pay
for this service based on the number of email addresses we send to. Also, if
you get this more than once because you have multiple email addresses,
please opt out of all but the one you wish to use.

Your understanding is appreciated. Please FORWARD THIS EMAIL to every
astronomer you know. If you receive it from a friend, please join our email
list.

Thanks,
Donna

      IYA is Here and 100 Hours and ISAN are coming SOON!

IYA has begun! Many of the projects are moving forward quickly and need
amateur support to be successful. Everyone should visit the IYA website at
www.astronomy2009.org<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdq8G_okynsCVj01EF862XA3Jw3j_B6IGxNnFquwJWqWeXFL6Xc9f9xyYlKOGTPLeFvh2nmLKVn2M2UJbl6qKjWAdq3sO2TLCUhGg4XsyXadRQ==>
to learn about the cornerstone, special, and national projects and to
keep
current on the status of the projects that appeal to you. There is
definitely something for everyone this year.  For everyone planning on doing
events for the 3rd International Sidewalk Astronomy Night (ISAN) on April 4,
please register your events on the IYA 100 Hours of Astronomy website at
www.100hoursofastronomy.org<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdpDc5_MIbUNSJ1r1IPr-iSQj1zM8QrCYosCaFyL2K0sC4iy6v-S1bEGQAJ-s0MlGUu5uGCCxcprc7Kr454TYeIMdqmUnYbqoYsh0K0JpsG0AYqrXI3wJssn>.
We have the opportunity to have ISAN be ten times as large as in past
years because of 100 Hours, so everyone needs to get out during the 100
Hours and especially for ISAN.

We need State and National Organizers to make 100HA and ISAN the success we
know it can be. Please check the 100HA website to see if there is an
organizer for your area and if not, volunteer! If there is, contact them and
offer your help. If you can't volunteer, you can help by registering your
event and encouraging others to do the same.
      Dawn of IYA
The International Year of Astronomy is here! Dawn of IYA2009, organized by
the IYA2009 Solar Physics Task Group was held on Jan 1, 2009.  Dawn
participants started the year off right by taking solar telescopes to public
places and showing a close-up of the first sunrise of 2009 to as many people
as possible. See the reports and some great pictures of Dawn events on its
blog at http://dawn-iya2009.blogspot.com/ .  Pictures show observing events
India, Indonesia, Brazil, Spain, USA, Iraq, Portugal, Nepal, New Zealand and
Australia.
Thanks to Ricardo Reis of the Solar Physics Task Group for starting and
organizing Dawn of IYA2009. Photo - Dawn in Nepal
       [image: saturn]Saturn Observing Campaign
Jane Houston Jones
JPL's Saturn Observation Campaign outreach program gives sky enthusiasts of
all abilities the opportunity to share the splendor of Saturn with their
local community. Saturn and its majestic rings make an annual trek through
the night sky, allowing ground-based observers to enjoy stunning telescopic
views of the planet. Sidewalk Astronomer Jane Houston Jones runs this
outreach program at NASA JPL, for the Cassini Mission Outreach office.
Here's is the main webpage.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/Education/saturnobservation/

Look at the Saturn Viewing Information page for month-by-month tips about
Saturn in 2009 and this year's dramatic ring tilt changes:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/Education/saturnobservation/viewing2009/

For International Year of Astronomy, we hope to encourage worldwide
astronomers to show Saturn near Opposition - from
March 8 - 28.  If you want to join the SOC, the membership application and
requirements are here:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/Education/saturnobservation/participate/

     Pastel Sketch of the Moon
Rendered in 2 1/2 hours. Sketch session was broken by clouds and rain at
mid-evening from 7 PM ~ 11 PM PST Nov 9 2008.  Various dry pastel chalks on
19" X 25" black Strathmore Artagain paper. The lunar disc was drawn at 14
inches in diameter. Sketch by Mark Seibold
More of Mark's art is posted at:
http://www.cloudynights.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=37924&cat=500<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdrcTB1aWLn9ogUJ-iy0otza5OaKUrubPVl8hrocoY9WAPBCPEePu3XZU7xOQQa1SA9PhezpKICHtLR6m2YenIBvMAHGrTTqiDmFnDMZ-_GrX5ykTPQEE7X4CQZkCEErSUxA-uaidBOGNf4BQLG6Ls9twHAvZ0aK0JyEbUWlL_30q5XhEMyomSkS>

     Sidewalk Astronomy in Nicaragua Julio Vanninni
On Jan. 23, I took out my small telescope and placed it on the sidewalk. I
was going to observe Venus and Uranus since the date was good for both
planets. (A conjunction)

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdqPFFOhsmwxShNkTBI_LXPGRaU7MmNRscGiBFRWrysIoswn554jWQXn4O-RC-mpPejwYJAFX5_Zyl3QY3gSUa0DcKf8Wu12yuoKPOLEnflqAD2gR69PruDJroJa10EG1F_GOj2S2KByW3M1a6_ci0mBzM-q1RJkerAOGPmzd7amUQ==>While
I was there, a group of girls from
the neighborhood approached and peered
through the scope and for the first time they saw Venus like a crescent
moon. I showed them Orion, Orion's Nebula, and Taurus. Using a green pointer
I explained the shapes and mythology behind  the constellations. When I
showed the asterism and pictures in my computer (Stellarium) and they got
more impressed.

Their parents were wondering what were my studies.  heheeh.

If you want to check the pictures, you can go to my Blog using this link:
http://ungaman.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/astronomia-en-la-acera/<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdqPFFOhsmwxShNkTBI_LXPGRaU7MmNRscGiBFRWrysIoswn554jWQXn4O-RC-mpPejwYJAFX5_Zyl3QY3gSUa0DcKf8Wu12yuoKPOLEnflqAD2gR69PruDJroJa10EG1F_GOj2S2KByW3M1a6_ci0mBzM-q1RJkerAOGPmzd7amUQ==>

     Partial Eclipse   Dr. Armando Lee
Members of Sidewalk Astronomers - Philippines, Dr Armando Lee, wife Myra
Lee, son Jason Lee and Dr Lee's  brother Christopher Lee together with
students of RTU BS Astro Technology and Mr Fermin Naelga gave a public
viewing session of the Partial Solar Eclipse in the Philippines. Using an
FS80wa refractor on an equatorial mount, Dr Lee was able to provide views to
almost 300 people in the South Seawall of the SM Mall of Asia and at the
same time imaged a crescent sunset with his WO ZS80ed II scope. It was a
very memorable event and the image of the crescent sunset was even featured
in Spaceweather.com and APOD.
       Don't forget to forward this email to all your astronomy contacts and
register your ISAN events on the 100 Hours of Astronomy website,
www.100hoursofastronomy.org<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102423370244&e=0012JPIlx4eKdpDc5_MIbUNSJ1r1IPr-iSQj1zM8QrCYosCaFyL2K0sC4iy6v-S1bEGQAJ-s0MlGUu5uGCCxcprc7Kr454TYeIMdqmUnYbqoYsh0K0JpsG0AYqrXI3wJssn>

*Sidewalk Astronomers*
email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101566561734&ea=claudioargandona%40gmail.com&a=1102423370244>
  [image: Safe
Unsubscribe]<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQuYoguK48ZN8xLeY2ek5j4pljCWmnV3qIFNkjo9Lgoto%3D&p=un>
This
email was sent to claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx by
sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQuYoguK48ZN8xLeY2ek5j4pljCWmnV3qIFNkjo9Lgoto%3D&p=oo>|
Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQuYoguK48ZN8xLeY2ek5j4pljCWmnV3qIFNkjo9Lgoto%3D&p=un>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
 Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_203>by
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_News_203>  Sidewalk
Astronomers | 1946 Vedanta Place | Hollywood | CA | 90068

--
IYA2009
http://www.astronomy2009.org/