[TechAssist] update. RCA F36444, ATC113CA1 dead. standby B+ OK no pwr on

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:12:56 -0400

I just replaced the jungle IV01 (TB1253CN), no help. Now I've replaced
the jungle, fly,HOT,eeprom,Gemstar...Am I missing anything?
Seems there is no "ON" command from the Gemstar module. There are two
voltage regulators that are biased on by the Genstar and neither are
being done so:
Regulator (TO220 case  9 volt) IV02 no output, no input volts.Comes from
reg transistor TP340 and it's output is nothing. It's base is biased on
by  transistor TP531. TP531 gets it's "on" bias to it's base to...> "see
gemstar4 P/J 26403 pin 18." I go there, push power and nothing.(I assume
with my Fluke I should get a DC on pulse of some kind).
Next:
9V reg IC IP360. No volts at input or out.
This is fed by reg transistor TP360 's collector. (0 volts at collector.
emitter and base both have +16.53 VDC.) TP360 is turned on at base by
TP560's coll. output.
(TP560 base and coll both about 16.5VDC, Emitter ground) TP560 is turned
on by a line at it's base to the gemstar. Schemo note : "see gemstar4
P/J26404 pin 9" I have no "on" voltage pulse there either when power
pushed. So, two regs that ultimately are turned on by this new gemstar
and no output.
I've tested all these transistors and none shorted. It seems there is no
power on command.
I am at a loss. There you have it.
Phil Bader

Well, I'm officially stumped. This think is dead, no 3 chirps from the
horizontal. Only the normal single chirp from the smps at plug in. The smps is
up and running.
have changed:
Jungle chip IV01,Flyback, HOT, gemstar module, EEPROM, resoldered everywhere.
The smps
seems OK.
I tried the RCA "force on "method.:
(There is a procedure to "force on" the set:
"Service mode force on method:

> From the front of the unit press and hold the menu button, then press

and release the power and then press and release the volume up button.
If the unit operates, check the error codes." )
NOTHING!
Help! Of course I've sunk a fortune in it...
Phil

Made sure the smps was up and OK. Replaced the Flyback, eeprom, HOT.
Resoldered the coils aroind the HOT.
Went to the Gemstar troubleshooting.
Checked ribbon cable BR104-pin 14 for +5.2 volts. It was there OK.
Next, check BR103-pins 10 and 12 (clock and data) for +5.0 VDC and 5VPP
signal.
I have neither.
Also said check BR104- pin 12 and 13 for signal when power is pushed.
Niether has signal.
Either omission I have is indication the manual says "replace gemstar"
So, replacing the gemstar is easy but does this cause other
complications (like alignments,etc when you replace an eeprom)?
My first Gemstar...
Phil

Plugged in,I have +139 VDC at collector of HOT in standby. I have +5VDC
at I/R detector. Either pushing power button, or with remote, no
response. HOT good, smps seems OK.
Resoldered LL04 coil to HOT base (like the CTC203), resoldered fly and H
drive transformer.
Not a peep when power pushed. Not the "three strikes" chirps. Nothing.
Phil Bader

--

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)