[TechAssist] Re: Yahama Car radio stereo

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:56:29 -0500

The model will help.

As to your problem, sounds like the final amps (large TO-packaged
or SIM units) at the back of the radio has a short (or both).  I've had
many cases of this where the customer attempts to connect the
speaker wires (or power from radio to car) and somehow caused a
short.  Not saying everone does, just most I've dealt with.

If you have the unit their, one way to check without even a piece of
test equip is to pull the finals (or unsolder the leads from the board)
 and use a separate amplifier (I keep a set of amplified computer
speakers) hooking it to the output of the preamp you just
unsoldered from.  NOTE// To insure no further damage to the
radio/amp, power up the radio only long enough to do an "audio"
test to hear for any sound/hiss.  If the preamp circuitry actually
turns out to be the fault, loading it down with the amp-comp spks
could further the damage.  The reason for the caution is in
particular with the newer and/or high-cost models.  Some
incorporate a lot of microprocessing circuits.  I've many a tech have
a nightmare with this experience after learning the "hard way" and
the resulting expense.

This, of course, is NOT the "prefered way of doing the diagnosis,
but if you're not sure the customer will bother paying for your time -
or he seems reluctant to have you repair it (such as, "I can buy
another one cheaper than that.." - or whatever..), then this is a
quick and dirty way of checking.  If you here good loud stable
noise, you can at least check to for sound now by tuning to a
station.  If all seems to work well, replace the finals and any
adjacent resistors/caps to the finals.  Most likely they will have
been shorted, too.

I'll check for that model number and then can give a better acurate
tech diagnosis for you by part.

Good luck.
Chaz

> Hi Chaz it is Model#YCR405 it has no sound output seems to get too hot
> cust said it used to cut out dont seem to be a loose connection any
> tips
>            Thanks Eric
>
> Chaz wrote:
> >
> > A model number would be nice to know and aprrox year
> > manufactured  :)
> > Chaz
> >
> > Date sent:              Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:01:00 -0230
> > From:                   Eric Manuel <tvman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To:                     "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> > <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:                [TechAssist]
> > Yahama Car radio stereo Send reply to:
> > techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > > Hi do anyone know where to get info on the above unit..Thanks Eric
> > > Help make your TechAssist online repair tips database better!
> > > Submit your fixes here:
> > > the subject line.

> > To unsubscribe write to:
> > techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx