[TechAssist] Working on a Lite-on DVD rom drive model LTD-163

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:11:46 -0500

While cleaning up the shop and pitching things out, I came across this
Lite-on DVD rom drive model LTD-163 which has a strange problem. It will
read DVD's ok and it will read CDR discs ok, but it will not read
factory made CD rom discs or factory made music CD's. I have tried a few
differnt CD's and the drive will not read the TOC. To me this doesn't
make too much sense because the laser has to be more precise to read the
DVD's, correct?

I tried updating the firmware and that has not helped. When I first
attempted the firmware, I did something wrong and the drive went totally
dead. Then I found a utility on the net to restore the firmware even
from a brain dead unit. It worked! If any Tech Assist member has one of
these drives lying around, I can send you the files to bring it back to
life (if it is a firmware problem). Also, the firmware version I
installed is supposed to make the unit region- free but I don't have any
foreign DVD's to confirm this.

--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics