[TechAssist] Re: TX-826 Horz getting too hot.

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:05:12 -0400

Buck, I once posted this to the list. I have never heard back from the
folks who bought these sets from me. Maybe it will help:

I have both these TX826 sets running now, thanks to all the replies that
were posted to help me.

The first set was pulsing really fast. The reason for this was that I
had removed DP18 to check it and never reinstalled it. Must have been
one of those times when the phone rang and I forgot I had removed the
part.
For the HOT, I used a generic S2000AF, and for TP15 I used a generic
2SC2482. This is the number that I was told is stamped on an original
RCA part. I added a small tin heatsink which fits over top of the
transistor and the transistor runs at 39 deg. C while the set is on and
it runs at 52 deg. C while the set is off. The HOT runs at 44 deg. C.

The second set was actually in working condition when I posted the
original message to the list, but the HOT collector waveform didn't look
normal to me so I asked the group about it. I received one comforting
reply which told me that it was normal to have the waveform like I
mentioned, so I went ahead and fired it up and it has ran fine for
hours. For the HOT I used a generic 2SD1886 and the temperature has been
at 42 deg. C. For TP15 I stuck with my initial replacement, a 2SD1138.
This transistor is in a TO-220 case and has a metal back to it. The
leads had to be twisted around to match the holes. The first while I ran
the set and the temperature was at 39 deg. C.  In off mode, the temp was
50 deg. C.  Then I installed a light weight aluminum finned heatsink to
the transistor and since since, the temp. is 34 deg. C while running and
42 deg. while off.

All these temperature measurements were taken after long periods of time
(2 hours plus) either the set running or not running.

I will return the second set to the customer and I will post an update
here if it ever comes back with TP15 or HOT problems. The first set
belongs to me. I will likley install a 2SD1138 and test run it for a
couple of weeks before I try to sell it.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984