[TechAssist] Sony mini stereo system HCD-H61M, adjusting laser current

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:05:22 -0400

I have this Sony mini stereo system HCD-H61M in the shop and sometimes a
cd will hesitate to start spinning, as it sounds like the laser tries 3
or 4 times to focus, then the disc spins and TOC is read, then the cd
will play. Happens more when cold and worse with some CDs than with
others. Once it starts playing it will play the whole disc fine.

I'm thinking maybe the laser is a bit weak and just a bit of tweaking
the drive current might help it. There are 3 trimmer pots on the laser
pickup (KSS-390A according to my supplier). Which one of these pots
adjusts the drive current?

For anyone wondering, yes I have fully lubricated the mechanism
including motors, gears, sled tracks, etc. and cleaned the lense.

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics