[TechAssist] Re: Sony VCR, SLV555 won't power up, no display [UPDATE]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:58:31 -0500

The original messages from this thread was in January. It has taken 2
months but a very generous person has given me a scrap SLV555UC VCR
which I was able to use the front panel display board (including the
micro) to install into the machine I was working on.
This corrected the fault, so I am declaring that the micro was indeed
the problem.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Kevin, thanks to your zip file, I can now say the power supply is
functioning properly. There is no 5V signal reaching the power supply to
turn on the regulators. I inserted my own external 5V supply and the
regulators turned on and all the output voltages are present. The front
panel LED's and digital display lights up but there is no VCR action at
all. I suspect the micro, which is located on the front panel display
board.

Does anyone have a junker machine with a usable front panel circuit
board (the board with the digital display on it)? The display doesn't
have to be good or even there because I can use the display I have here.
Number on this board is: 1-631-340-13. Please email me privately with
price.

Thank you.