[TechAssist] Sony TV - KV32FS100 Red/Blue pull away from Green

  • From: "Damon" <damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TechAssist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:02:18 -0500

Anybody remember the Sony CRT that has the BUILT-IN Convergence Grid on the
Direct View TVS???

I'm working on a Sony KV32FS100.....on the bottom of the picture the Red and
Blue part of the picture pulls up when the contrast is maxed out. Reducing
contrast causes the RED/BLUE to approach normal geometry, Green doesn't seem
to be affected, and adjusting the screen control has the same effect......
If I didn't see it myself in the customer's home I wouldn't have believed
it.....but sometime ago the trainers mentioned an internal grid tied to the
HV section and it is used to >>help/assist<< in converging the color.

Page 41 of the Sony schematic show a resistor array tying several grids to
HV, and I'm pretty sure that's the circuit I'm dealing with.....but if
anybody has more info about this, it would help me get a better grasp as to
what is going on.

I ran several tests on the CRT, including checking geometry/yoke. While I
heard what sounded like corona hiss around the yoke, pulling the yoke
revealed no arc/char spots....but boy was the tape on the crt neck toasty
looking.

I just can't state that the CRT is BAD, mostly because the Green isn't
affected at all, the picture has good geometry, and the red/blue is affected
ELECTRICALLY. I'm looking for a part....or an electronic signal out of
whack.