[TechAssist] Sony CD HCD-D117 laser assy KSS-240A, how to adjust gain? UPDATE

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:08:06 -0400

Thanks to all for the help, including Ty for the uploading. Appreciated.

I think I have found the problem why the CD sputters sometimes. The
magnet that holds the cd onto the spindle platform might have gotten
weak because sometimes when I insert a CD, the cd wabbles pretty bad. I
take a screw driver and gently press down on top of the rotating magnet
and it seats onto the cd, clamping it to the platform as it should.
Discs that load properly to the spindle have no problem reading the TOC
or playing. The splindle platform has a spring loaded hub, so there has
to be a bit of pressure from the magnet to push the cd against the
platform. It must either be a weak magnet or the spindle platform
sticking. I had WD-40'd the spring loaded hub but no differnce in
operation. I am suspecting the magnet, # 1-452-538-11 which according to
my suppliers site, is replaced by 1-452-879-11 and I have to wait to
hear from them.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

My previous message:

I have a Sony CD player which plays most discs fine but a few sputter
before locking in and I'm thinking maybe just tweaking the gain on the
laser assembly would help. This one has 3 trim pots. Which ones do I
need to adjust, or is it a case where all 3 must be aligned and I
shouldn't attempt it?  This part is $60.00 CDN at my supplier so I doubt
the customer would go for it. Probably cheaper at US sources but
exchange, brokerage fee, etc. might not be worth it?

Photo of part:

http://www.number63.ca/KSS240A.jpg

Thanks for any help.
--