[TechAssist] Re: Scanning schematics

  • From: Jorge Camboni <geo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 04:45:07 -0500

There is no point in making a pdf out of a jpg; pdf is intended
for combining pics and text in an ebook. It does not have
a tighter algorithm, jpgs are nearly uncompressable, unless
you open them and recompress them with the jpg algorithm
to a tighter (and less quality) file. If you want to preserve
100% quality you may use .png, for somewhat bigger files.

At 11:37 p.m. 14/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd like to know how converting to PDF makes it smaller. I always get
>huge files after converting to PDF from JPG. I compress my jpg
>schematics to around 75% and get files perhaps 400k, then after convert
>to PDF, it is more like 1.6 meg. I believe the problem is that the PDF
>is taking the jpg uncompressed. I have recently tried using gif instead.
>the gif file itself is larger than the jpg but the PDF conversion
>doesn't uncompress it, so in the end my PDF is a lot smaller being
>converted from gif than from jpg.
>
>I use Adobe Acrobat 4.0 to make the PDF's. Someone said that if you can
>do it through MS word, the resulting PDF is smaller but I haven't been
>able to do it with word.
>

>Gary McCartney
>
>McCartney Electronics
>Guelph Ontario Canada
>Est. 1984
>email: gary (at) number63.ca
>

>John @ Myers TV wrote:
> > When I scan, it imports to my graphics program. From there, I can do a save
> > as, & choose the format.
> >
> > There will be a considerable size difference between formats, though. JPEG
> > usually winds up as being the smallest.
> >
> > I believe you can further shrink it by converting to PDF. But, it doesn't
> > make it that much smaller.
> >
> > John

Jorge Camboni, GY Electronics, Richardson, TX