[TechAssist] Re: Samsung Camcorder SCH-985 (like SCX-954) no capstan in PlayFIXED

  • From: rogerfixit@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:35:57 -0500

Did pull capstan motor - found flywheel WAS contacting stator especially
when pinch roller was pressing on it (it did turn to load).
Stator was fine -so was magnet. Thrust plate on top would not hold
capstan shaft down far enough so magnet would clear stator.
Had to 'adjust' position of shaft in the flywheel. 'Adjust' means take a
punch and tap the shaft so it is higher in the flywheel.

Thanx to Mike and Jerry S. for the direction.
Roger G.

Mr. Fix-It     Harrisburg, PA 17110    WebSite-
http://mrfixit.netfirms.com
rogerfixit@xxxxxxxx  (alternate - rogerfixit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  )
FAX 801-705-3748 ; Tel: 717-763-7098 (shop) 717-652-1703(home)

I have seen bad capstan motors on similar models. If you remove the motor

you can inspect the rotor. The magnet on the rotor is coated with a
chrome
like plating. The motor can be repaired by removing the chrome stuff and
sealing the magnet with superglue.Check the stator  for opens because the

magnet can rub on them.

Mike Wilson
A.M. Stereo & Video
Seattle WA.

>From: rogerfixit@xxxxxxxx
>To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [TechAssist] Samsung Camcorder SCH-985 (like SCX-954) no
capstan
>in Play
>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:48:55 -0500
>

>Samsung Camcorder SCH-985 (like SCX-954)
>Problem- No capstan rotation in Play, FF or Rewind. Capstan does rotate
>on insert or eject.
>Have stripped and confirmed mechanical alignment- also 'cleaned' mode
>switch contacts and all interconnections.
>Would suspect capstan motor IF it did not turn at all but it does turn
on
>eject.
>On Play, FF & Rew it may give a little jerk for about 1/10th of a turn.
>Head drum is turning just fine
>Roger G.
>
>Mr. Fix-It     Harrisburg, PA 17110    WebSite-
>http://mrfixit.netfirms.com
>rogerfixit@xxxxxxxx  (alternate - rogerfixit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  )
>FAX 801-705-3748 ; Tel: 717-763-7098 (shop) 717-652-1703(home)

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com
Add a known good Tech line number or part supplier in The
Tech Address Book.
Submit A Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
For automatic password retrieval 24 hours a day, go to:
Access the archives here: