[TechAssist] Re: ( Reinstall Without Formatting ) Windows 98SE Internet Explorer 6 has no General Tab to change Home Page

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "trustnhim5@xxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:28:57 -0700

When you reinstall Windows as a repair (or upgrade) installation it is
not the same as a fresh install (especially with older OS's such as
98 and Me). Some corrupted files or even trojans and viruses may still
exist.

Try running Ad-aware to remove spyware and adware which Spybot may
have missed (be sure to update Ad-aware right after installing it).

Also it is very important to occasionally scan your system with a
different antivirus. Use Panda or Trend's free on-line scanner. This
has helped me several times, when my regular antivirus missed a few
(very common). None of them are perfect. Norton is known for not
recognizing some of the less common trojans. Panda is far better in
this regard.

If all else fails, you can reinstall Windows completely without
formatting. In DOS mode, delete the following folder: C:\Windows
and C: Program Files.

There are very precise instructions for making this work even better
a couple paragraphs down. Make sure to at least backup Favorites
and the Mail folder.

Now you can reinstall Windows to C:\ without losing any of your
data, and it is a fresh install. You will have to reinstall all of
your programs and drivers, but at least your personal folders and
files will be intact (using the instructions below, you won't even
have to reinstall everything).

Of course you should always scan your entire system for viruses
(with the very latest antivirus updates), and backup all your
important data before doing this (just in case).

REINSTALL WINDOWS WITHOUT FORMATTING THE DRIVE

Most of your programs may not have to be reinstalled using
this method!

This procedure will assist you in installing Windows without a
reformat (or losing any data, in most cases)

1.  Get your Windows 98 or ME Floppy Boot Disk ready

2.  If you can, backup your personal data files just to be safe

     **Here are some other things that you should consider backing up:

     Favorites  (C:\Windows in 98 & ME - in Win2000 & XP easier to
        just Search the C:\Documents and Settings folder)

     Desktop stuff (C:\Windows in 98 & ME - in Win2000 & XP the
        Desktop folder is in under Documents and Settings)

     Start Menu  (same as above - don't forget to use Search)

     The Mail Folder [1]

     User data for multi user windows installations in PROFILE
     subtree and other stuff

     Make a backup of your HKLM\Software key [2]. You can import
     this file into your new registry - Boy, will this save you a
     bunch of time by not having to reinstall all of your programs.

3.  In Windows Explorer  create a folder on the Drive C: called
     CROOT.

4.  Then, in the menu bar go to Tools - File Options (may be called
     Folder Options) - View Tab - Mark Show hidden files and
     folders and click OK

5.  Move all the files in Drive C: to the created CROOT folder.
     You should be left with only Folders on Drive C:

6.  Restart your computer with your boot disk. (If you don't insert your
     boot disk your computer will not start properly after doing step 4).
     When the startup menu appears choose with CD-ROM support.

7.  You are now going to rename the Windows folder.  Once you have
     re-installed Windows this folder will be rendered useless as a new
     one will be created.

     At the prompt type the following commands:

     rename windows dwin [Press Enter]

     x: [Press Enter] (x = your CD Drive Letter)

     setup.exe [Press Enter]

8.  You will now have started the Windows Setup program.  Follow
     the onscreen prompts and make sure you install Windows in the
     Windows folder not dwin.

9.  When you have completed the Windows setup and you are up and
     running, import the HKLM\Software key (which you saved) into the
     registry and re-install any applications that don't work.  If
     you use Outlook Express you will need to copy your e-mail files
     from:

     C:\dwin\application data\identies\{nnnnnnn}\Microsoft\Outlook
     Express to:

     C:\Windows\applicationdata\identies\{nnnnnnn}\Microsoft\Outlook
     Express

     If you use Oultlook the file I think is called Outlook.pst in the
     Dwin folder. Copy this file to your docs folder. Also restore any
     data files from the folders Dwin or Dprog although I shouldn't
     think you'll need to.

10.  Delete the folders Dwin, and CROOT to your recycle bin and
       leave them there for a few days just incase.  If no problems
       occur empty your recycle bin and maybe run Defrag to tidy up
       your drive.

[1]  Backing up the mail folder:

Outlook Express or Outlook

In Windows 98 and Millennium do a search on C: drive for the word Mail.
In Windows 2000 and XP do a search for Outlook Express in the folder
C:\Documents and Settings.  Save the entire folder to a floppy, Zip
drive or CD.

Other mail programs

Just do a search on Drive C: for a folder called Mail.  This is the
most common name for the mail folder (no guarantees). Open it and
make sure that it contains what looks like mail. If not found, just
contact whoever wrote your mail program and ask them where it is.

[2]  Backing up the Software key (in the registry)

In the registry, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > File >
Export  and then save this key to a new folder in My Documents
(you can call the folder Software).

--
Best regards,

 Bil Green
 2001 TV VCR
 Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
 760-934-2001                           mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

Friday, September 12, 2003, 11:05:22 AM, you wrote:

tcn> Hello,
tcn> I'm using Internet Explorer 6 and I reinstalled Windows 98SE and Internet
Explorer 6 and I still don't have a General Tab under  Internet
Explorer/Tools/Internet Options. I got rid of the
tcn> Hijacker,but now I have Home Page about blank and can't change it to
MSN.com.  Spybot works great. Any ideas how I can get my General Tab back?
Without Formatting the drive.
tcn> TIA and Have A Great Weekend
tcn> Max
tcn>   ----- Original Message -----
tcn>   From: Dat
tcn>   To: monitor-repair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tcn>   Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:48 AM
tcn>   Subject: Re: [monitor-repair] Windows 98 SE Internet Explorer Has no
general tab to change home page.

tcn>   Hi Max,
tcn>   Go to Control Panel --> Add/remove Program --> Install/Unintall
-->Scroll down to see any new program (X-rate POP UP SITE) that you did not
install before -->Highlight --> Click Remove
tcn> -->Reset. If it's not there
tcn>   try this on Run box -->type MSCONFIG --> OK --> Click Start up -->
Scroll down to see any strange program -->uncheck that box --> Apply --> Reset.
tcn>   If it's still not working Re-install internet explorer. What is your
current ie version ?

tcn>   Regards, Dat
tcn>     ----- Original Message -----
tcn>     From: trustnhim5@xxxxxxxxxxx
tcn>     To: Monitor repair
tcn>     Sent: Thursday, 11 September 2003 12:15 PM
tcn>     Subject: [monitor-repair] Windows 98 SE Internet Explorer Has no
general tab to change home page.

tcn>     Hello,
tcn>     I had a X-rated pop up come out of no where today and it took over my
home page. Now msn.com will not open. I go to Internet Explorer then click on
tools, then internet options, I have no
tcn> general tab there to change my Home Page. It use to be there. How do I get
the general tab back?
tcn>     TIA
tcn>     Max

tcn> Max Bailes Jr
tcn> Bailes Electronics
tcn> Rt.4 Box 57-A
tcn> Hurricane,WV 25526
tcn> 304-562-7167
tcn> E-Mail  trustnhim5@xxxxxxxxxxx
tcn>
tcn> Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
tcn> http://sell.tech-assist.org
tcn> The Tech Address Book:
tcn> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/contact.htm
tcn> Add a Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
tcn> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
tcn> Lost Password:
tcn> http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Lost your Login Info?".
tcn> Email Archives: