[TechAssist] Re: PTV Unusual Coolant Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: walter wood <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:25:10 -0700

Hi Walter,

Thanks for forgiving. Do the newest Zeniths appear to be a Goldstar
design? I've seen trouble with with Zeniths, but not lately. The
few Goldstars I've worked on in recent years have been easy to fix.
They don't seem to break around here.

GE/RCA has always been good for business. Sony too. Hitachi about
the best (and nice to get free tech help and manuals too!).

--
Best regards,

 Bil Green
 PC 1000
 Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
 760-924-1000                           mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

ww> I do not see any reason to apologize to the "RCA
ww> Guys".
ww> If they can't build a television, they should just
ww> quit.
ww> Actually, the new zeniths are doing very well(we
ww> sell those too).
ww> Ans Sanyo has ALWAYS had the best "CHEAP" set on
ww> the market!!!!

ww> --- Old TV Man <mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> Reply=A0to:
>> techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Toshiba gives us less trouble than anything we
>> sell or have ever sold.
>> I've had only one Toshiba to fail in warranty in
>> over 2&1/2 years. I've
>> had 4 Hitachi's in that same time frame, and
>> that's not bad either
>> considering the hundreds that we sell.
>>
>> But, I constantly have RCA's in the shop. About
>> the only time I see a
>> Toshiba is when Lightning gets them.
>> But anything below a 31" set is NOT built by
>> Toshiba, and we don't sell
>> those.
>> I think that they should abandon the small set
>> market, just because they
>> aren't up to Toshiba Quality anymore.
>> IMHO
>>
>> Walter
>>
>> --- Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Toshiba PTV
>> Model 65HX81
>> Symptom: no power
>>
>> Just finished repairing this set. It was so hard
>> to figure where the
>> leak was that I thought this may help someone
>> else (other interesting
>> defects found)
>> 1. Troubleshot
>> 2. Located and replaced open 2A circuit protector
>> in power supply -
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0at this time a portion of the
>> green CRT
>> (picture tube) circuit
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0board immediately started
>> burning up
>> 3. Examined area around green CRT and found a few
>> drops of liquid
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0leaking from the CRT onto the
>> circuit board (cause of
>> burning).
>> 4. Removed the green CRT/assembly - checked
>> carefully for leaks (no
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0longer leaking! - so obvious
>> sign as to where
>> it leaked from)
>> 5. After hours of waiting for it to leak, and
>> more tests, a loose
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0filler plug was found (buried
>> under silicone sealant).
>> We added
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0more coolant, tightened it (was
>> not leaking at this
>> time), and
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0sealed it with silicone
>> sealant.
>> 6. Repaired burnt wiring on green CRT board
>> 7. Reinstalled green CRT/assembly
>> 8. Adjusted convergence controls
>> 9. Tightened loose lens wing nuts (not done
>> properly at factory)
>> 10. Cemented totally loose convergence adjustment
>> tabs (another
>> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0big mistake at
>> factory)
>>
>> DOES TOSHIBA SUCK OR WHAT? -
>>
>> This is not the
>> first time I am seen
>> loose lens wing nuts, not to mention almost every
>> direct view Toshiba
>> I see having very green grey scale. But then it

ww>
>> Lost Password:
>> http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
>> Problems?".