[TechAssist] Re: Magnavox RJ8550AK03 Cloudy Picture

  • From: peggs <peggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:37:31 -0500

I'll admit the first 2 times I exchanged the coolant
in one of these sets, I removed the Pix tubes.
I no longer remove them.
First remove expansion chamber.
Extract old coolant with a horse syringe and tubing(tubing
should fit tight over syringes tip).
Disassemble coolant chamber 'cover'(4 nuts).
Clean with Denatured alcohol and cotton clothes(I've even used
paper towels in-a-pinch)
Re-assemble coolant chamber cover(tighten nuts at
opposite corners,snuggly first time thru,and tight second time).
Fill with new coolant.
Check for leaks cold,and after 2 hours of operation.

Peggs

At 07:27 AM 10/28/02 -0500, Damon wrote:

><Save this in your Files....I'm not going to REWRITE this....EVER>
>
>Normally you won't need to reconverge it after replacing the fluid, get the
>gaskets from NAP, and the coolant from MCM http://www.mcmelectronics.com .
>
>Don't remove the yokes from the crts. Leave them on. Remove the crt board,
>the ground straps, disconnect the yoke connections, and the convergence
>connections, along with HV anode wire at the splitter. Remove the 1/4"
>hexangonal screws (2 on each side of crt on top). Wrap your cables around
>crt, remember direction of focus lense wing nut and lift it out.
>
>Have a clean area around kitchen sink, and paper towels, loosen the 4 spring
>loaded nuts on crts to relieve pressure (3/8" or 1/2" nutdriver) then remove
>them completely (note direction of HV anode in relation to the air expansion
>chamber so you don't have to re-assemble a 2nd time). You may be able to use
>old gasket, but I prefer a new one each time.
>
>Pour out old coolant, flush coolant chamber with warm water, using your
>fingers to remove the grime on the lenses. Shake out any water that gets
>into air chamber. Wipe Crt face with finger/paper towel (a wet paper towel
>will loosen left over goo). Now dry chamber with towels and make sure there
>is no left over icky stuff. If the rounded lense in the chamber looks frosty
>from the goo, don't worry about that....and DO NOT scrub that plastic ball
>lense!!! Just make sure it's has no debris/chunks on it.
>
>Pour in new coolant after laying down gasket, fill it completely!! Fill it
>to the point that the coolants surface tension is just above the very top of
>the chamber and wait.....let the air chamber pop out about 3-5 bubbles of
>air and make sure the level is right at the top of the chamber, set the crt
>down, mount the 3/8" bolt/spring assy. Start at one side and thread it 3-4
>turns into the casting. Go opposite corner and 3-4 turns, (kinda like
>mounting bolts on a car tire). Get them all started first, pressing down on
>the bolting plate to finish starting the last 2 bolts. Now tighten them "1/2
>way" in an N - shaped pattern, then the last 1/2. Done.....Sealed......Wipe
>off the coolant with a paper towel.....Get them dry....Pickup crt gently
>roll assembly, looking for obvious leaks, drying any spots, and don't assume
>you have a leak until you have dried it in all directions, any questionable
>leaks, set aside crt on a paper towel and make it PROVE that it's leaking.
>(It's obvious that these CRT assys are built to be leak proof , just as long
>as you get the gasket in the slot in the casting).
>
>Now remount the CRT, theres a Pin on the casting that drops into the frame
>assy, so be sure to feel it drop....pull your wires, install them, along
>with the crt board and the Crt Grounds. Mount the 4 1/4" screws lastly.
>
>Fire it up, leave the front panel open to adjust the brown ring magnets
>located on the bottom of the yoke assy (That's the only adjust, because
> [...]
Peggs' Electronics
1519 West 2nd Street
Owensboro,KY 42301
270-926-4968