[TechAssist] Re: Interesting VCR info

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:08:13 -0500

Both systems used azimuth recording to reduce the luminance pickup from
adjacent tracks. Beta shifted the chroma phase by 180 degrees from an
adjacent track. VHS shifted the chroma each horizontal line by 90 degrees
from the previous one. There was no guard band between tracks on either
system. The VHS chroma adjacent track pickup rejection just did not work as
well as the Beta chroma adjacent track pickup rejection, which resulted in a
"busy" background in the VHS picture. Some brands filtered out some of the
video high frequencies to get rid of the busy background and then emphasized
the remainder to sharpen up the picture detail. This caused a "outline"
effect on vertical lines in the picture. I have a Sanyo Beta Hi-Fi and a VHS
at home and watch the Beta every once in a while to remind me how much
better the picture looked.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave